Ageism is a form of discrimination that is not taken particularly seriously. Think about the fact that it is illegal to discriminate against someone because of their age, it is one of the grounds of discrimination.
How can you counteract ageism on the internet?
- Do not speak down to people who are younger than you, and do not treat people who are older than you like they are stupid.
- Do not speak degradingly about someone’s age.
- Never base judgements on age, but rather on experiences regardless of age.
- Think about expressions and wording in relation to the democratic discussion — will everyone be able to participate?
- Older people have worse resistance to disinformation and fake news, be an ally and help each other online.
- Do not assume that cyber hate is a problem for young people, and that all efforts should be targeted at young people. The average age of someone who is charged with cyber hate is 51 years old.